Curious Benjamin Button Bollywood Makeover

Wouldn't a mix of "Slumdog Millionaire" and "The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button" be destined to be the best film of the decade? That's obviously what filmmakers from India thought, when they lined up what Warner Brothers considers "a remake of Benjamin Button"...

It's too late for an April's Fools joke, so I guess WB must be serious about this. Last year they went to court against a Bollywood comedy titled "Hari Puttar", for obvious reasons -- but failed. And now the newly announced Bollywood production is rumored to have a storyline similar to "Benjamin Button"? Come on. As if. But WB threatens to take to court any production with "a similar script, screenplay or storyline or character sketches or interplay of characters or sequence of event".

In my personal opinion this is doomed to fail. Pretty much EVERY horror-film, EVERY romantic comedy, EVERY damn action flick EVER MADE could be taken to court on these counts, and it is also, in my opinion, not hurting the film one bit, if there will be another film with a somewhat similar premise. And I don't believe the indian producers were planning to take Eric Roth's screenplay and work from that.

Wasn't there also a Bollywood film called "FIGHT CLUB", by the way?!

So what's the fuzz?
What's your opinion on this?
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk: Hollywood Warns Against Button Remake

4 comments:

  1. Actually I was confused when I first heard about Benjamin Button because I thought it would be a adaptation of the Andrew Sean Greer Book (have at look at it here: http://tinyurl.com/d3qlax). So when I learned the filmmakers and Greer simply had the same idea I thought about this kind of coincidence a lot and am now convinced that stuff like that happens all the time. As Stephen King once said: There are only 7 basic stories out there. Everything else is icing. So, why bother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, let them make it. The films Bollywood makes are artistic expressions with as much value as the ones Hollywood make or any other industry for that matter.

    It's for a very specific audience and I think it would be fun to see how it would translate to a whole other range of sensibilities.

    But I don't run a studio, neither did I make Benjamin Button, so what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stereotypical CCBB HaterApril 9, 2009 at 9:53 AM

    sInce ben button was a blatant word for word, scene for scene ripoff of Forrest Gump our friends in the East should have creative license to continue the thievery!!1! maybe they'll succeed where your glorified and infalible idol Dave Fincher failed by using the story for a movie that wasn't totally gay with too many feelings and crap. i also hope it's shorter because my attention span can't handle anything longer than the time it takes to send out a twitter text to my peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, there's a copycat hater out there. And he uses twitter.

    ReplyDelete